Thursday 15 December 2016

Battle of Marathon by Daisy, 6CP

Nauseating piles of rotting corpses filled the battle field. The never-ending screams of the injured were continuously thrashing at my eardrums as we raised our blood stained swords in victory and relief. Fame was ours; Greece was ours. We couldn’t believe we were able to achieve this.

While we all stood nervously at the top of the hill, we took a deep breath in and watched the early morning sun slowly rise into the sky. My eyes quickly darted to the Persian army of 30,000, which was when I started to feel really nervous. We only had 11,000 men. I stared at my friend for a moment; he look confident and naive but I felt really nervous.

While we were still at the top of the hill, we got into our new phalanx formation. As I was getting into place, I started to doubt this new decision. Then we finally started to march down the steep hill over to the Persians awaiting us on the sandy battle field. We all came face to face,enemy to enemy. Battle had begun....

Battle cries were heard all across the bay as soldiers transformed their fear into anger. Showers of blood rained down on us as we slowly outnumbered the Persians. Countless bodies lay on the sand but there were more Persians yet. Many Persians came towards us feeling really confident the eventually lost their lives to our swords and spears. But they wouldn’t give up.

Revolting piles of Persian corpses were scattered all over the battlefield. The piercing screams of the injured or dying was all I could hear. The salty wind was bitter, but victory was sweet. Then I saw loads of soldiers dropping their armour in relief. Some even collapsed with their armour because they were so tired because they have been fighting in metal armour for a few hours which wasn’t easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are checked by Vale staff before being published to the page!