Thursday 15 December 2016

Battle of Marathon by Luke, 6CP

Bodies with snapped necks and missing limbs, lay in puddles of their own internal fluids. Rivers of blood linked heaps of blooded corpses like vivid crimson paths. But it was over; the carnage was over. I glanced at the first Persian I killed, spear was still wedged in his blood stained stomach. Pain burned through my shoulder as I stood horrified by the massacre.

A glimpse of rising sunlight shone from the horizon, as the moon hung just above the mountains behind us. Rumours had been passed between the lines, that the spies had seen Datus load his cavalry back onto his boats and sail away. Tension hung in the air, as we anticipated the fierce battle ahead of us.

The morning light shimmered from behind general Miltiades, casting a dark shadow across his face as he yelled his speech to us. We began our march, and at arrow range, we broke into a run. I saw stunned faces as arrows rained down all around us.

I ran at a Persian and plunged my spear deep into his stomach. I was forced to leave my spear wedged where it was by an angry Persian charging at me. I spun whipping my sword from it's sheath, and catching him across the chest. The Persian collapsed, blood dripped down his front. I stopped for a moment to take a breath, but realised, that was a bad idea.

I clutched my shoulder in agony as an arrow whizzed between the gap in my armour. I went down, my head pounding. A puddle of blood leaked from my shoulder. I tasted blood, I must have bitten my lip as I hit the ground. And that was the last I remembered.

I came to myself with a familiar ringing in my ears and a distant pain in my shoulder was slowly growing. With my good arm I hoisted myself into a sitting position. “Aaagggghh!” I screeched as a strong gust of wind blew sand into my cut. I looked around and realised…

We had won!


Bodies with snapped necks and missing limbs lay in puddles of their own internal fluids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are checked by Vale staff before being published to the page!